CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

January 11, 2012

Gentleness to All Men

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. ~Matthew 22:37-38

These are the verses that God has been placing in front of me this week, and they go so well with the word servant! Isn't it amazing how God does that?

I was reminded this week that the best way I can show God my love for Him is by obeying Him. When I obey the commands He has given me in His Word, I become His servant, and I also serve others.

Another verse that I have been thinking on this week is Philippians 4:5a.

Let your moderation be known unto all men.

Our Pastor pointed out on Sunday that another word for moderation is gentleness. This verse is commanding that we show gentleness to everyone. If I love God with my whole heart, I will show him with this action of love to others. I will show gentleness no matter what the present situation may be. I will not answer harshly to my children who have asked the same question 10 times and are not paying attention when I give the answer. I will not grumble under my breath when my mister points out something I've done wrong. I will not become irritated with the driver who just pulled out in front of me. In all of these cases, I may have the "right" to express my opinion, but is that showing God that I love Him? Is that becoming a servant? Am I placing myself under God's subjection and offering my life as my reasonable service to Him?

Now, do I always succeed in letting my moderation or gentleness be known to all men? Absolutely not!!! Is it always easy to respond this way? Unfortunately, no! Can I do this on my own, in my own strength? Never!!!

It is only by God's grace - His gentle prodding and teaching - that I can become a person who responds to every situation with gentleness. That is the woman I want to be. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm thankful for God's gentleness in teaching me. Isn't it a neat thought to think that God's grace shows me how to love Him. We could not even love Him without His help! How undeserving I am of all He has done for me. I pray I can show Him every day that I love Him, and I pray I can show God's love to others by responding with gentleness.

Dear God,
Please give me a heart full of love for You, and please help me show You that I love You by responding to others with gentleness. Thank You, God, for your grace and gentleness that guides me every day through my stumbling efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment