CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

January 3, 2012

More on Being a Servant

As I've begun this New Year with my "word," I have been struck by the enormity of the challenge and the difficulty of the task! I am thankful for this new focus God has given me, but it is hard work! I continue to remind myself that this is only my "reasonable service" to a God who has given me so much.

I've struggled through this idea of being a servant, and I've discovered that the kind of servant I am is determined more by my attitude than by my actions. There are many people who perform actions of service with a grudging heart, but there are not any who have an attitude of humility and have found no way to serve. I find myself performing many actions of service throughout the day, but I am also continually reminding myself to change my attitude from selfishness to selflessness. I am not here for me. I am here for my Savior. How can I best serve Him today?

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. ~Romans 12:1

As I was reading the verse above, I had an AHA moment! I am a LIVING - every day, every moment, in the here and now - sacrifice to God! I am never only serving my husband or my children or anybody else. I am first and always serving Jesus! I am not cooking supper to serve my family only. I am cooking supper and serving Jesus by, prayerfully, giving my family a picture of a living sacrifice - a person who is living life God's way and bringing glory to Him. My number one goal as a wife and mother is to show my family Jesus. What better way can I do that than by serving them the way Jesus would? Will my family want to be a part of God's way if I am grumbling and complaining about all that has gone wrong while trying to cook their supper? Will my family want to draw closer to this God I claim to serve if I act as though it's such a labor? In the words of Henry Blackaby from his devotional book Experiencing God Day by Day:

"Every day, you are to offer your life to Him for His service. You do not serve Him in your spare time or with your leftover resources. The way you live your life for God is your offering to Him." (emphasis mine)
I love this quote, and it is a great reminder to me to serve my GOD continually all day. I don't know about you, but many times, it helps me to remember that I'm not serving the smart aleck three year old; I'm serving the God who daily LOADS me with benefits (Psalm 68:19). I'm not serving the husband who did not pick up after himself; I'm serving the God with whom there is no variableness or shadow of turning (James 1:17). I'm not serving people who do not notice what I do; I'm serving my sweet Jesus who came to minister to and to give His life a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28), and one of those many was ME!!! And that, my friend, is how being a servant becomes a joy! Isn't our God so good to us? Even His commands bring such joy and contentment and fulfillment! It also brings quieter voices, better attitudes and quicker obedience to your home!

It is a struggle to serve continually, and it isn't the easy path. It's daunting work, but it has rewards so sweet. I'll be praying for you as you serve in the way God has asked you to today, and if you think of it, pray for me because I sure could use it!

1 comment:

  1. Very true! It's very hard work, and I fail at being a servant often. Thankfully, we get a new chance everyday.


    Angel

    ReplyDelete