CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

June 25, 2012

The Power of a Smile

I have so much I'd love to write about, but I'm not sure I'll ever get to it all!  I am so glad I was able to spend some time with my family.  I got to see cousins that I haven't seen since before I was married.  I managed to recognize all but one of them! That is pretty impressive for me!  Don't you just hate those conversations you have with someone that you know you're supposed to know but you really don't remember them at all?  Had several of those this last week.  Let's just say that as I was growing up, I wasn't a huge people person and didn't really spend a lot of time focusing on what people were saying or doing around me.  Sad, but true!  I try so hard to do better now, but it definitely takes a concentrated effort.  There are so many times when I will introduce myself to someone, and five minutes later, I can't remember their name!  Again....sad, but true!

Anyway...I am finally back home.  Because my flight going to Denver was delayed, I missed my connection in Denver.  I ended up spending the night there!  Flying off and on for 12 years, I have never had any major delays, missed connections, or lost baggage!  So, I really couldn't complain too much!  I had ended up being on the plane for 3 1/2 hours when I was supposed to have only been on it 1 1/2 hours, and then I had to  stand in a customer service line for 1 1/2 hours.  I saw a lot of immature people that night, and so as I stood in line with my little newbie, I decided to see how many things I could be thankful for.  I came up with a quite a lot!  

At the top of my thankful list was that the newbie is such an amazing traveler!  He did nothing but sleep or smile or play during the entire travel time!  I really don't mean to sound prideful at all when I say this, but I was struck by the thought of what a blessing my little man was to so many different people on our trip.  There were times when I would have 10 or 12 people standing around the two of us.  They would be talking and laughing and cooing at him.  I have no idea who those people are or what their lives are like, but I do know for a few moments, this little guy reminded them of how precious life is and how good a smile can make you feel!  The newbie would seriously stare people down until they finally noticed him, and then he would just put on the biggest smile!  It was so fascinating to watch him search people out and focus on them until he could give them a smile.  My little 7 month old son taught me that I need to search out people too.  While traveling, I noticed how hard people work at shutting themselves out - computers, ipods, mp3's, books, magazines, cell phones.  There are not very many people who want to become even a small part of someone else's life.  So, the newbie and I began a mission to see how many people we could smile at, say hello to, and give high fives to!  It was a ton of fun!  A smile is a very powerful tool!  I would encourage you this week to stare people down until they look at you, and then smile the biggest smile you can! It sounds crazy, but you'll be amazed at how good it makes you feel!  

I just arrived home yesterday afternoon around five, and in just a few hours, my sister, her husband, and their five kiddos will be on my doorstep!  I need to finish cleaning my house and try to think of something to cook up for supper tonight!  I better get to it!  I may not post very much again this week due to company, but I will be back soon!  I promise!  Have a beautiful day....and don't forget to smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment