CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

March 4, 2013

Joyful Mom Monday - Think Before You Speak

Counting God's Little Blessings


Happy Monday!  Hope you're Monday has been nice to you! ;)  Today's Joyful Mom Monday topic is probably the number one obstacle I face as a mom.  It is one that I work on every day and still have a loooonnnngggg way before I can claim any victory!  The topic...thinking before I speak!  We moms have a particular responsibility in making a habit of thinking before we speak.  I was reminded this weekend that what I habitually do, my children will do.  The way I react to problems will be the way they react.  If I continually speak with grace and love, they will do the same.  How much more joyful would our homes be if we would think before we speak and then speak with nothing but graciousness and kindness?

The Bible tells us in Colossians 4:6 to "let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."  There are so many times that I completely deflate my children with my words.  Instead of graciously reminding them (for the 100th time) to do something properly, I become frustrated and very ungraciously get in their face and remind them that is the 100th time that I have asked them to do this, etc, etc...And, I have found, sometimes it is how we say something that can be more detrimental or helpful than what we actually say.J esus repeated himself over and over to his disciples - but always graciously and patiently.  I have to remind myself that my children are learning so many new things, and they will not be able to learn it all in one day.  If I am not perfect, why do I expect them to be?  If I tell them to speak kindly, why do I talk down to them when I correct them?  

Our homes will be more joyful - I will be more joyful - if I strive to be always be gracious with my words - whether correcting a child or just reacting to a situation.  I want my children to remember me as a gracious and gentle mom whom they could talk to about anything without fear of being made fun of, preached at or talked down to.  There is a place for unwavering firmness and discipline, but even that should be done with a gracious heart.  So....my challenge to myself this week is to speak graciously to my children.  I love this little acronym I found on pinterest.  I printed it out, and it hangs in several different places around our home.  It's a wonderful reminder to our family to think before we speak!   How do you help yourself remember to think before you speak?  I'd love to hear your ideas!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjvUkRaIiD0jKXslfc2J8GjBUMW1p_Q1rKNZXJbf49L5R83EdhmRtjHsOAHI2MqU9Ho0IZiFMZJL9LnNjd6ABWN1gL1CQqYEwRDBFIcP7-wpMV9R97D9AyuaoG8ius8bE38V2sNb14mlmI/s1600/before-you-speak-think.jpeg

Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy
Counting God's Little Blessings - 3 Every Day:

31.  We are pouring the footers for our dream home (that we have been dreaming of for MANY years)   
       TOMORROW!!!
32.  A certain friend who is always willing to keep all 5 of our kiddos so that the Mr. and I can get away for
       a weekend! ;
33.  My kiddos for the most part enjoy each other and are truly each others' best friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment