CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

March 23, 2013

Homeschooling Journal - 3/22

 
In my life this week...
I have been diligently working on sticking to our routine, and it was worth the effort!  I have also been trying to finish up a few more big jobs on the spring cleaning list.  The warmer weather has been a nice change, and the kiddos are more than happy to be able to finally enjoy more time outside.
In our homeschool this week...
There is not much new happening in school right now.  We are continuing through our read alouds.  We have almost completed Swiss Family Robinson, and we just began a new missionary biography about Jim Elliot. We have also enjoyed reading Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing by Sally Lloyd-Jones during our morning Bible time.   Evvie and Andrew have been making mini books of each planet we have studied.  They have had fun doing this and have surprised me with how much they remember.  We have almost concluded our study of Mozart and will be moving on to Bach.  Andrew is beginning multiplication, and Evvie has been breezing through fractions.  I am hoping this is a sign that she got her Daddy's math mind...not her Momma's! :)

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice...
I always remind myself that I cannot teach my children everything.  It is my responsibility to give them such a love for learning that they will always have a hunger to learn as much as they can for themselves.  If I will do this, they will continue to learn long after they have left our home.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
All the kiddos had a dentist appointment this week, and we left with no cavities!!!  YAY!!! Apparently, I can brush my children's teeth better than my own because I went to the dentist two weeks ago and had FIVE cavities!!!  We also went shoe shopping because everyone desperately needed play shoes and dress shoesThat was a long evening, but we accomplished the goal!

My favorite thing this week was...
Hearing Garrett and Madelyn read words!  Also, Andrew, out of the blue, told me that it would be really neat if I had twins but asked if it would take longer for them to get here since there would be two in my belly.  I don't know where that came from because, as far as I know, we aren't expecting a baby - much less two! :)

My kiddos favorite thing this week was...
Reading the quiet time book I mentioned above for our Bible time.  We had much discussion, and they couldn't wait to read the next day.  They have also enjoyed reading Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tanglewood Tales this week.  We are reading The Minotaur, and they can hardly stand the suspense while waiting for the next story time.

Things I'm working on...
I am trying to find a way to motivate my 9 year old Evvie to read more on her own.  She reads well, and she loves to be read to, but she does not pick up a book and read for pleasure.  She will read assigned books on her school check list but she procrastinates with that as well. I'd love to hear some of your ideas!

I'm grateful for...
The opportunity to teach my kids at home, and the way God has led me through this process of homeschooling.  It is always stretching me to what seems to be my limits, but as I look back, I see how I have learned and grown more than my kiddos have!

That has been our week!  We are enjoying a lazy Saturday morning but are about to begin the Saturday cleaning!  Hope you all enjoy a beautiful weekend and a wonderful day of worship tomorrow!

Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy


No comments:

Post a Comment