CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

February 23, 2011

When Things Don't Go As Planned

Last weekend, I distinctly remember sitting down and making a to-do list for this week. I knew this week was going to be a bit busier because we are helping out some of our friends by keeping their 2 year old who is great friends with our 2 and 4 year old. My mister was also going to be leaving to go out of town for a men's retreat. So....my plan....put the house in immaculate order, have 5 homeschool days in 3 so that when Daddy left for his retreat, the kids and I could do absolutely nothing!!! Sounds heavenly, but also...very unrealistic. This is the flaw my sweet mister probably brings to my attention more than any other! (I consider myself lucky because he definitely has plenty he could choose from!)
This week has turned out to be absolutely crazy! And that to-do list is nowhere to be found. I'm assuming I will find it under the piles of laundry (which was completely caught up on Saturday), toys or just plain dirt, but of course, by then, the week will be over, and I'll have no need of it for I will have made another one out!
God has reminded me several times this week that my times are in His hand. He knew what my week would be like. He knew what my plans were, but they weren't His. I can either take this week and complain about the interruptions and chaos, or I can use this week to find opportunities to be a blessing to my family and others around me. Maybe it wasn't just coincidence that I lost my to-do list - maybe it was God's way of telling me He had other plans.
So, will I be a willing vessel who can be used or will I ruin an opportunity that God has for me? Will I be a good example to my kiddos in teaching them how to respond when things don't go my way, or will I show them through my actions that getting what I want is most important? Am I looking at my interruptions as opportunities from God or as annoyances that are getting in the way of my plans?
Here are some Scripture verses that I've found to encourage me this week. I pray they will encourage others who are having the same kind of week as I am.
Galatians 6:10
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
Ephesians 5:15-17
See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
Colossians 4:5
Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
Another thought that God gave to me this week is that the interruptions God has brought into my life are so petty compared to others. God has not asked me to give him my daughter. He did ask that of our friends, though. I've been given so much, and I am so blessed! How can I complain when God asks me to change my plans so that I can bring honor to His name? Yet, I do!
God, help me to bring honor and glory to Your name - even when things don't go as planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment