CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

February 21, 2011

The God of All Comfort

Today, our family has been reminded of how short life can be, but we've also been comforted by God's love, faithfulness and sovereignty. Isn't it so sweet to know that God has already planned each person's life from beginning to end and that nothing takes Him by surprise? I was reminded of the verses Jeremiah 29:11 and 13: "For I know the thoughts (plans) that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts (plans) of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." I am so thankful that I serve a God who knows me and my needs better than I know myself. I am so thankful that even when we go through such big hurt, God knows exactly how to heal our hearts and, more importantly, He helps us grow through the hurt to trust Him even more.
What is even more amazing to think on is that God desires for us His children to bring our hurts to Him. There are so many verses in the Bible that tell us to "cast our cares" on God. I found Psalm 55:22 again today: "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." God has promised to be faithful to us! We can trust Him because He is "a very present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1). I'm so thankful for God's never failing faithfulness to us. I am so thankful for a God who loves me unconditionally and whom I can trust supremely. He is such a good, faithful and loving God, how can I question Him or His plans? Instead I can only say, "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever." There is nothing I can do in my own strength, but God will be my strength. He has promised, and He never lies. He will supply me with everything I need at just the moment I need it. "My grace is sufficient is for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (II Corinthians 12:9)
Another comfort today has been the thought that I probably think more than any other when I think of all the what-if's in parenting: God loves them more than I possibly ever could. God loves and cares for every one of His children in a unique, individual way. Psalm 139:16-17 says "Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!" One of my favorite verses that I think describes God in the tenderest of ways is the familiar verse "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116: 15). Death is not a random act which stirs panic in Heaven. It is the greatest, most anticipated homecoming welcome a child of God will ever experience. It is something God calls precious.
God now has one more saint with Him today. What a welcoming she experienced last night - seeing her Savior face to face and taking in all the sights of Heaven. There are tears - lots of them - here on earth today, but oh what sweet, sweet comfort, peace and even joy we have also experienced as we have drawn closer to the One who is the God of all comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you all in your time of loss. We must have been thinking along the same lines lately! Thanks for your reminders of God's care for us!

    ReplyDelete