CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

April 5, 2013

Homeschool Journal - 4/5

 
In my life this week...
I have been able to check a great many things off the ever present to-do list.  It has been a wonderful feeling. I am trying to get caught up on all the deep cleaning so that I can implement a handy dandy chart I made that will keep me deep cleaning a few things each week instead of trying to do it all in one month.  I love that my kiddos are getting old enough to actually be helpful and not just be in the way, and I also love that, if I plan ahead and prepare them for what we will be doing, they are usually cheerful helpers! 
I have had  four out of six of my cavities filled.  Yes, I know...it's been a ton of fun, I tell ya!  The dentist finally gave me a prescription toothpaste to see if we can slow this process down!  Other than that, it has been a great week of enjoying a fairly organized and mostly clean house.  I do believe that by 5 PM I will have every piece of laundry washed (including our sheets) which means that I should have empty laundry baskets for approximately three hours before the heatherns decide they need to put their PJ's on for bedtime!  :)

In our homeschool this week...
Evvie has moved from fractions to percents and has almost completed the book Pollyanna.  I have given her 2 fiction books and 2 biographies to read on her own during the next 8 weeks.  If she completes them all, she gets a lunch and skate date with only Mom and Dad!  She's working hard for that very special treat, and that's not too shabby a goal for a 9 year old!  Andrew has begun reading chapter books!!!  This is a huge step for him, and it has been a slow start, but I am so happy that he hasn't given up.  He seems to be enjoying it despite the extra effort it is requiring.  Yesterday, he read a sentence with several big words without stopping to sound them out.  He suddenly looked up with this huge grin and said, "Wow!  I didn't know I could read like that!"  He was surprised and impressed himself all at once!  Garrett and Madelyn are reading words now.  Next week, we are going to begin making a book of words which I am hoping will keep reading fun and interesting even though it requires hard and steady effort!

My favorite thing this week was...
Watching all five of the kiddos watch a performance of Mozart's Magic Flute on you tube.  They loved it, and it made this musical mommy extra happy!

My kiddos favorite thing this week was...
Taking our nature walk.  Our kids have always preferred playing outside to playing inside. They enjoy it even more when I come out with them.  We had fun trying to find a bird's nest, looking under a piece of wood and finding a whirligig beetle, and spotting different plants getting ready to bloom.  We are hoping that the weather will remain warm so that we can resume our weekly nature walks and enjoy more time admiring God's creation!

Things I'm working on...
In matters of school, I need to list out all the American history dates and make a time line for them so that Evvie and Andrew can see and remember them a little more easily.  In matters of home, this weekend is supposed to be the great switching of seasonal clothes!  I always procrastinate this job, but I would love to have it out of the way.  Those are the weekend goals!

I'm grateful for...
Beauty...I love springtime, and each year I am reminded that I should stop and enjoy beauty more.  I am thankful that God gave me beauty and gave me the ability to make things around me beautiful.  I hope that my family will remember me as someone who brings beauty to their lives.

I rewarded my kids this week by...
During this school term, my habit training goals for our kiddos were less chaotic morning and evening routines.  I promised the kids that if they could have all of their morning chores completed by 8:45 this week, we would go to the park for a picnic.  We did it!!!  Working on this one habit has made our entire day much less stressful and chaotic!  YAY for the kiddos!

Something I have my eyes on...
I would love to get this CD - Hidden in My Heart: A Lullaby Journey Through Scripture - for my littlest "homeschooler" to listen to as he drifts off for his naps. 

I would also love to purchase Dangerous Journey - a beautifully illustrated retelling of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.  I am reading the unabridged classic to Evvie and Andrew, and I think all of the kiddos would enjoy the children's version!

So, that is a small view of our week!  Remember, I left out all the really good stuff - like complaining, temper tantrums, burnt rolls and late breakfast! :)  Overall, though, it was a wonderful week where God allowed me to be encouraged by the progress I am seeing in all of my family!  I hope you enjoy a beautiful weekend full of hard work and a little relaxation!


Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment