CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

February 27, 2012

Relationships and Letters...

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on being intentional in our relationships. (Click here to read the post.) In that post, I mentioned that I was focusing on one person in my family each day to help strengthen, grow, encourage and affirm them. It was a lofty goal...a needed goal..., but I really struggled with actually being able to always take the time to pull that person aside and have one on one time with them, and, being human, I have to admit, that many days I would lose my focus and just out and out forget to take time with that person. I am excited to say that God gave me a wonderful idea which I have begun implementing. It has worked so beautifully for me. So, I thought I would share it with you.

A very simple idea, really....Each morning, I pray specifically for that one person (see here for the method of praying I am using for all my kiddos and my mister), and then, at the close of my quiet time, I write that person a letter. It's usually a fairly short note, but it lets them know that I am praying for them. In the letter, I always mention several things that I love about them, tell of the ways that I see God using them or thank them for things I have seen them do. Then I tell them one thing that I am praying about specifically for them. My kiddos (and even the Mr.) have LOVED this. They think it's so neat to wake up with a letter from me once each week. It has also been a great way for me to kind of "journal" with and about them. (I always sneak the letters back and put them away in a safe place! :) )

I leave the letters on what is supposed to be a wire photo holder, but we have always used it for our "mailbox." I hope to advance to something a little more elegant than notebook paper in the near future, but for now....it works! :)

This has worked beautifully for me, but I do realize that not every one enjoys putting their thoughts on paper the way I do. I would encourage you to find what works for you. Be creative. Ask God to give you an idea. The big point is to be willing to take a few minutes out of the day to do whatever it takes to focus on relationships. We humans have become so busy with life that we forget that the entire reason we were even created by God was to have a relationship with Him! Relationships are extraordinarily important to God. Jesus spent his entire ministry focusing on relationships. We need to follow His example and make the time to develop our relationships so that we can share God's love and grace with the people God has placed in our lives. I would love to hear of ways that you are taking the time to be intentional with the relationships God has given you.

No comments:

Post a Comment