CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

May 27, 2013

Joyful Mom Monday - Teach Them

Counting God's Little Blessings
It's Memorial Day!  Today is a day that I plan to celebrate and make memories with my family.  We have all kinds of great food lined up for the day, and I'm hoping it will be nice enough to sit out in the lawn chairs this afternoon with a glass of Strawberry Lemonade.  It has become important to me that I make memories with my kiddos.  I want them to remember special days and special times that God has given us as a family.  However, today is not just a day to celebrate family.  Today is an opportunity for me to remind our children of the great cost some people have made so that we can enjoy a day like today.  Today will not be just a day to have Grandpa's super yummy BBQ chicken or Mom's famous potato salad.  Today will be a time of remembering that over 1,300,000 AMERICANS paid the ultimate cost for my freedom. I need to teach this to my children.  I cannot rely on the schools or my church and certainly not the government to teach my children the honest facts about the cost of our freedom.  It is not their responsibility.  It is my God-given one.  Our children need to be taught the true meanings of the holidays that surround us - whether we celebrate them or not.  These are part of our history - our heritage, and it is our privilege to not only celebrate as a family but to also remember the past as a family.  We cannot live in the past, but we certainly cannot forget the past.  It is the past that teaches us and prepares us for the future.  So, today as you celebrate, remember to take a few minutes to teach your children why we have this day and to pray for the families who are missing someone at their celebration today because they have chosen to stand for our country's freedoms.


Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment