CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 5, 2013

Joyful Mom Monday - Teaching Our Children About True Beauty

Counting God's Little Blessings
Today, I want to pass a link along to you for a post by Girl Talk.  They are beginning a series on how to raise children in a world of beauty gone bad.  In other words, the topic is teaching our children how to be modest and how to recognize true beauty in themselves and in others.  This is a topic that is close to my heart, and to be honest, it's one of the topics that scares me the most when it comes to raising my children.  The reason - because I can teach my children about modesty and have them dress modestly and teach them the proper view of the opposite sex, but I cannot prevent them from being bombarded and tempted by the things they see everywhere they go.  Sadly, even churches and youth groups are not a place of modest dress anymore.  It hurts my heart to put my children in places where they may be tempted to fall, and unfortunately, the lust of the flesh is one of the most addictive temptations faced by every Christian - man or woman.  It bothers me that more Christians do not understand the reality and the seriousness of sexual temptation and how even the smallest amount of immodesty can begin a young person on a path that they will wrestle with the rest of their lives. 
And so, I encourage you, no matter how young or old your children are, to check out the link below and follow this Girl Talk series.  It is a serious responsibility that we as Christian parents have to teach our children what true beauty is, and we need to begin this at a very young age.  One of the phrases I use most while we are in public is "Guard your eyes, please. Protect your heart from evil."   I have already explained many times to all my children that a person who dresses immodestly is sad because it shows they do not truly know Jesus.  They are bringing glory to their bodies instead of to Jesus.  I also remind them that their glory will only last a few years.  Jesus' glory lasts forever and ever.  In these small ways, I pray that we are beginning to fill their hearts with a desire for true beauty and a life that honors God and not themselves.  I know this is a controversial subject, but it is one that needs to be addressed. A question I ask myself is, "Would what I am wearing distract someone from seeing what God is doing in my life today?"  If so, I need to put it away.  If you have the least bit of hesitancy about an outfit, put it away! Let's stand up for what is right, Mommas!  Let's teach our children that modesty is nothing to be ashamed of.  It is a God-given protection from unnecessary temptations and sad consequences that will scar our children and us for the rest of our lives.  I pray that this link will encourage you to take a stand or to continue your stand in modesty.

http://www.girltalkhome.com/blog/teaching-our-kids-about-beauty - Post 1
http://www.girltalkhome.com/blog/showing-beauty-to-our-children - Post 2


Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment