CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

September 14, 2012

Homeschooling Journal - 9/14

 

In our homeschooling this week...
I feel like we accomplished a lot!  My two kindergartners have learned ALL FIVE vowels!!!  In just a couple of weeks, they will be reading blends!!!  I am so excited for them, and I love seeing their excitement whenever I remind them that all of this hard work is teaching them to read.  Miss E (4th grade) let her imagination run wild with a story she wrote about a secret room she found in her house!  Mr. A (2nd grade) is doing an excellent job in his penmanship and absolutely beams for a mile when I praise him for his effort!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...
This is something I am still learning myself, but the best advice I read this summer was to not make your homeschool become a public or even a private school setting.  Live your life and bring learning with you everywhere.  It has been liberating to know that I do not have to follow a curriculum for everything we do.  I can stop and linger on something we are enjoying or on something we do not yet understand without feeling the pressure of growing behind.  I cannot teach my children everything they need to know in life, but I can give them a love of learning and instill in them the character to pursue good.  That will take them much farther in life than making sure they complete 170 lessons each year.  (I still plan out our year and try to stick to the goals made, but I am learning to relax and enjoy the journey!)

I am inspired by...
The missionary biographies we read, the imagination of Anne of Green Gables, my children who are so quick to forgive, the beautiful weather we have had this week.

My favorite thing this week was...
The kids and I took a walk on a park trail.  I gave them each a brown paper bag and told them to fill it full of interesting things.  We all had great fun looking for interesting and unusual things.  We found changing leaves, pine cones,  berries, mushrooms and much more.  It was a relaxing time but still a wonderful opportunity full of learning.

Things I'm working on...
I am striving to be more self-disciplined in everything!!!  Our school schedule, quiet time, meal preparation, exercising...you name it....I probably need to work on it!  It is definitely hard work, but the results are rewarding!

I'm cooking....
Almost every family I know eats cereal for supper every now and then...except ours (insert sigh)!  The Mr. would be absolutely appalled if I even suggested it. I know this because I did...once!  The closest I can get to cereal for supper is cooking a big breakfast.  Tonight, we're having waffles, sausage, eggs and fried potatoes.  It's more work than cereal but so much tastier...although I still wouldn't be opposed to the occasional bowl of cereal for supper!

I'm grateful for...
A much better week than last week! :)


2 comments:

  1. I love the nature walk paper bag activity. I'll have to remember that next time the opportunity presents itself.
    My husband too would scoff at the idea of cereal for breakfast. I can occasionally convince him that a smoothie can be considered a meal...but only if he can throw some kind of protein in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nature walk will definitely be something we do more of! As for the smoothie, my sweet Mr. would be looking for the meal that went with the drink! :) He does step in and cook for me occasionally, and so I do a get a night off every now and then! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete