CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

February 15, 2013

Homeschooling Journal - 2/15

Oh my! Is it really Friday already?  I have been such a slacker in blogging this week!  I have found I cannot keep all the balls rolling at once.  Sometimes, one (or two or ten) of them has to fall! :)  This week, it was the blogging ball's turn!  However, today I am linking up with....

 

In my life this week...
I've been busy celebrating with my family!  You see, in our family, the day BEFORE Valentine's Day is even bigger than Valentine's Day because that is the day our family was given the gift of Garrett Taylor - our fun, witty and energetic six year old!  We celebrated his sixth birthday in Garrett style!  Does SIX bother any other mom quite so much?  I mean, I realize I have only gone to birthday number 9 with my oldest, but with every child SIX has just killed my poor mommy heart.  I am not even bothered so much by Evvie's number 10 coming up this summer...yet!  Turning six, though, is like taking the baby away!  I can't imagine what 13 might do to me!!!  

We did also celebrate Valentine's Day...well, we tried anyway.  I must admit on holidays, I get a little jealous of people who have family and babysitters galore... However, the Mr. gave me a beautiful bouquet of roses, and I gave him a card full of mushy words! ;)  We tried to have a romantic, candle lit dinner with the five kids in the back bedroom, but I probably don't need to explain how that turned out! :)  It was a nice evening, though, and the kids enjoyed spying on Mom and Dad.  I am glad my kids have no doubt that their Mom and Dad are still "in love!"

In our homeschool this week...
We have been chugging right along.  Now, that we are in our second semester, I finally feel like I am settling into our Charlotte Mason teaching.  I have tweaked a few more things after finding a wonderful website!  Because I personally do not know anyone who is teaching with this method, I am relying heavily on guidance through websites like these and am so thankful for them!
The kiddos enjoyed World History and American History as usual.  My 9 and 7 year old love doing the mapwork from Story of the World, and I love that they are learning their geography in a fun and interesting way.  My  6 and 4 year olds have completely amazed me with their drawings of the history stories!  They are adorable...even though I am probably a tad bit biased!

Andrew has almost completed all of his phonics, although I will probably continue steady review with him until the end of this school year.  He is reading Billy and Blaze and thoroughly enjoying it.  Evvie has begun reading National Velvet and is eager to find out all she can about the horse!  Garrett and Madelyn are becoming faster each day with blends.  In March, we will probably begin to work more with words.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
This week was M&M's week!  This is our church's mommy group that meets once a month and encourages each other through Bible study and fellowship.  I truly would not be the mommy I am without this group!  We also took Mr. Garrett to Chick-Fil-A for his birthday!  The kids played in the play place for over an hour! 

My favorite thing this week was...
Hearing Evvie and Andrew talk about how much fun school was this week!  I am so thankful for this change in attitude...especially since so much of our family life centers around learning!

Things I'm working on...
Our morning routine is driving me CRAZY!!!  I would love to get a few morning chores completed before we begin school, but we cannot seem to get into a routine and keep it!  This week, we have been starting school at 8:45 whether we have finished the morning chores or not.  I do not like this, but the boys (who are the main culprits in dashing our nicely planned routine) do not like finishing the chores during their play time.  I am hoping I may have accidentally found a solution! :)
I'm grateful for...
The internet's ability to provide me with a plethora of knowledge and ideas (although sometimes it can be a little bit overstimulating!); that my Mr. and I have been able to celebrate 16 Valentine's Days together;  that God has given me a love for being with my kids! It's not always a perfect day around here, but I do love my family!

A photo to share...
A picture of a boat and a Colombus - by Garrett  (Those are his exact words!) :)


Two Egyptians and their carving stones - by Madelyn (I questioned the possible third face and was informed that was NOT another Egyptian.  The source never said exactly what it was!) :)
I hope you all have an amazing weekend!   We are hoping to enjoy some of this nice warm weather and possibly show up at church on Sunday with a clean car.  Hey, don't judge!  We live on a dirt road....and have 5 hoodlums!  :)  Have a great weekend!

Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment