CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

December 7, 2012

Reflections on My Word for This Year

I don't know about you all, but I'll just come right out and admit it.  I love the lazy, stress-free life!  Not that I get to experience it very often, but I do enjoy it when it comes my way.  We were able to get all of our Christmas decorations put up in a fairly timely manner (only 2 days!), and we are caught up on all of our house chores (well, as caught up as I care to be for now!), and we are not doing much school for this month!  That means that for the last two days I have been able to watch TWO Christmas movies and read a little!  It has been a little bit of heaven on earth.  I am fairly certain that the world's largest library with the world's best tasting Starbucks will be somewhere in heaven!

Anyway, as I've been contemplating my enjoyment of the lazy life, I have also felt a smidgen of guilt.  I do believe we need to create beauty and enjoy rest and relaxation around us, but God also made us for the purpose of glorifying Him and helping to build His kingdom.  My word for this year has been SERVANT, and I have been reviewing this year of my life to see if my heart and actions have become more Christ-like in this way.  In some ways, I have changed, but I also see where I can change even more.  I am so thankful for the promise of Philippians 1:6,  "He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:"  

Some things I've learned about being a servant this year...

You can't (and shouldn't) be choosy about who you will serve.  Many times, it is the most needy and unwanted who need to be served the most.  Jesus was always surrounded by needy, sick people.  The "nice" people shunned Jesus because they did not want to be seen with a man who had such a following of people.  If we are to be true servants, we must step outside our comfort zone and serve those who are truly needy.  This means we will be seen with the dirty, the homeless, the sick, the drunk, the abused, the unfashionable, and the socially awkward. Unfortunately, today's Christians have become comfortable and cliquish and, well, just plain Pharisaical.  I have too, and it's been hard to adjust my life to conform to the Biblical way of thinking rather than the modern way of thinking.  

Luke 14:23-24a
 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed...

You should not expect anything in return for your service.  If we are serving those who truly need to be served, many times those people will not be able to return anything for our service.  There have been some times that what I have done has never even been acknowledged even though I know without a doubt it must have been a wonderful help to the person.  I have found that just the knowledge that I have helped someone has been a wonderful return for me.  A surprised smile from the person I have helped, a person who hides their eyes quickly before I can see the tears starting to fall, a thank-you note, a quick hug....all of these are wonderful thank-you's, but even without those, I find that God rewards in special ways too.  

Matthew 25:23
His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Not everyone will support your decision to serve, but Jesus is our example.  I am very blessed to have a husband and extended family who base their lives on the Word of God; however, not everyone has understood some of the ways I have chosen to serve.  There have been a few friends who have basically told me I am wasting my time on a worthless cause.  My response has been that God is the One who has called me to what I am doing, and God is the only reason anything we do is worthwhile.  I do not believe that we alone can change anyone through any good deed, but we can leave a glimmer of hope by planting seeds of God's Word in every life we come in contact with.  So, even though others may not see the usefulness of what I am doing, I will still choose to serve.  After all, Jesus is my example, and He served far more needy people than I ever will.

Philippians 2:5-7
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

I have learned much about being a servant; however, I have much more to learn and practice.  I pray that God will continue to teach me and show me more about how I can share the love of Jesus by serving others.  I have been contemplating my word for 2013, and I believe I have chosen it, but I am going to leave you in suspense for a little longer (because I know your life entirely revolves around this)! :)  Maybe you could think of a word to describe your spiritual goals for 2013 and share them with us here!

By the way, I keep forgetting to write in the next topic for our Joyful Mom Monday link-up.  This Monday's link will be Christmas Traditions.  I'd love to hear what you do to make your Christmas special and joyful for your family!  Have a wonderful weekend!  Enjoy the relaxing, restful days but don't pass up an opportunity to be a blessing by serving others!

Wishing you a day full of blessings,
Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment